Sport Waikato was founded in 1986 to cover the area from Coromandel to Turangi and Waihi to Kawhia, with a population of approximately 382,000. Each person is a potential client of Sport Waikato, its role being to get and keep the communities of the region active. Sport Waikato employs approximately 70 full time staff members around the region. Sport Waikato's main office is in Hamilton.
Sport Waikato programmes and services are available for all communities in the greater Waikato region.
Our Key Priority Areas:
- Healthy Active Lifestyles - physical activity and recreation for health, fun and a lifelong habit
- Young People - a lifelong involvement in sport, recreation and healthy active lifestyles
- Community Sport - strong and capable delivery of community sport
- Regional Leadership - a professional organisation providing regional leadership and influence
Sport Waikato is:
- A Charitable Trust - governed by a Board of Trustees and managed by a Chief Executive
- A Regional Sports Trust funded through regional contracts, sponsorship, fundraising and donations.